Care Tips for Sterling Silver Accessories
Silver accessories are beautiful, timeless and immensely versatile. Although, no matter what kind of sterling silver accessory or jewelry you own - custom belt buckles, cuff links or rings - taking proper care of them is imperative if you want to maintain their beautiful shine and luster. This is mainly because of sterling silver’s composition, which makes it highly prone to tarnishing.
Luckily, taking care of sterling silver is quick, easy and convenient. All you need to do is know the right tips and tricks.
Daily wear tips
- The best way to prevent your sterling silver accessories from getting tarnished is to take care during daily wear.
- Wear them as often as you can because keeping them locked in for a long time will lead to tarnish.
- Take them off when you do any kind of household chore that involves using chemical cleaners or even chlorinated water. Perspiration is also a major offender.
- Do not allow them to be exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods.
- In case of accessories such as cuff links and rings, make sure that you put them on after you are done applying your deodorants and creams because the chemicals in those products can easily tarnish silver.
Over time, silver becomes dull and loses its shine due to the buildup of tarnish. Cleaning your accessories regularly can help you combat this problem.
- Do not use chemical cleaners as they can cause discoloration of the metal.
- Use a soft silver cleaning cloth to gently wipe them down after use.
- You can also use special polishes to restore their shine.